Thursday, December 30, 2010

Selah

Selah, is a Hebrew word roughly meaning "stop and listen", or to pause and consider. With this being the ending of a year I feel it is a time to selah.

This last year, as I noted in a prior post, was a rather difficult one. Nothing that a little patience and fortitude could not overcome. Many goals or endeavors I wanted to achieve this year were placed on the back burner, but not to be forgotten. It was especially difficult to keep myself from thinking I was a failure, these things happen, it's called life. Everyone has their share of rough spots in life that they need to get through; struggle and strife makes us better human beings because we can empathize with another persons situations. Do I regret anything? Maybe, but I wouldn't change anything because I would not be where I am today and frankly I am happy with it.

Some of the shining beacons for me this year were all the friends and family who were willing to help in any way they could. Just knowing those people cared enough was what kept me going. I didn't take any hand ups but they let me know that they were there if needed. Thank you.

Now it is time to pull those goals off the back burner and put them in place for the new year. Some have changed slightly, while there are a couple of new ones that are in the works. Am I going to tell you? No, that's for another post; besides, a couple of them will not be known for sure until sometime in February.

One last thing, I do not do resolutions. Maybe it is a Yoda thing, "do or do not, there is no try." Why put something off until the beginning of the year when you can do it then and there? If you wait, you set yourself up for failure. I see this all the time at the YMCA this time of year. The gym is packed from January to February and then the crowds go away.

Now, go, have a great time ringing in the new year and to selah on the past to keep yourself planted in the present, so you do not get lost in the future.

No comments: