Monday, May 16, 2011

Long and Winding Road

I'm putting up two separate posts, if you want to know about my race in Pennsylvania, then go here, otherwise the rest of this post is about the emotional journey I went on this weekend.

Back in my youth, I was in a dark place I never thought I would get out. In a way, I was the "tragically misunderstood" teenager who couldn't find their place. One night I went to see Rocky Horror Picture Show. Little did I know how this movie would effect my life.

Within a couple weeks of going I had found my niche. These people were like me. A love of theatre, a love of cinema, and most important a love of self. We were a band of misfits just looking for our place in the world.

Every Friday and Saturday we would spend walking the mall until it closed. After which we would park our cars out in front of the theatre until the movie started at midnight. Some of us who would act in the show, myself included, would don our makeup, get into costume and prepare ourselves to bring an experience to others.

You can watch Rocky Horror Picture Show in the comfort of your home now; unfortunately, you cannot appreciate nor understand it unless you "experience" it.

As soon as the movie was over we would invade one of the numerous Bob's Big Boy restaurants. Hours on end would be spent pontificating on everything from who had a crush on who, the latest cinema, novels, poetry, philosophy, and everything life could throw at us.

This weekend, I traveled back to Pennsylvania to see people I haven't seen in over 20 years. The moment I arrived at the location of the reunion, I was flooded with emotions. We talked about our lives as they are today and we talked about our lives back then. It was becoming extremely difficult for me to keep from breaking down. I really missed these people, more than I could ever put into words.

The memories were coming over me in waves. I would love to share them with others, but it would be meaningless. These were memories that I shared with these people, the laughs, the cries, the craziness. That is ours and no one else's and it will forever remain that.

I wanted to go back to that time in my life and do it all over again. Back to a time when we were invincible; where there was no internet or cell phones; back to when seeing a movie at midnight was an experience.

It will never happen, I know that. Even though the old theatre has been torn down and replaced with a food court, I will remember it the way it was. Even though Bob's Big Boy is no longer around, I will remember spending the early morning hours there eating and talking.

These people weren't just friends, they were family and they will always be that to me until the day I die. We looked out for each other in good times, bad times, and the times in between.

I will post some pictures up tomorrow.

No comments: