Monday, January 10, 2011

A little fun in the snow.

As a child, I enjoyed playing in the snow. Going out to have a snowball fight or ride the sled on the local monster hill created great memories. As an adult I have looked for ways to relive that fun to no avail. I hate the cold, especially if there isn't any snow on the ground.

However, this morning I have rediscovered those lost feelings of youth and playing in the snow.

Last night, in anticipation of riding in the snow this morning, I put the Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires on my cross bike. This was going to be my first full on bicycle ride in the snow.

This morning I awoke to 4 inches of fresh powder on the ground and still more coming down. Normally, I leave the house around 6:45 so I can be at work by 7:30. This time I left at 6:30 with the idea that it will take me a little longer than normal to get to work. It only took me 15 minutes longer than normal.

There were a few treacherous parts, like the street I live on. The city won't plow this street until after Wednesday; I think it is literally the last street to get plowed. So, everyone who had driven on the road had packed the snow and created ruts which one cannot see under all the new snow fall. Riding the quarter mile stretch of it was akin to being a human pachinko ball, thankfully I stayed upright.

Once I got on the trail system it was smooth sailing. There was no packed snow or hidden ice pockets to send you jerking to the side. The studded tires performed admirably in their duty of giving me traction.

The snow was still coming down this morning. The reflections of the snow fall in my bike light was incredible, to say the least.

This is supposed to be my recovery week and I definitely did not ride easy this morning, but it was worth it. If you want a great resistance workout, go ride in the snow.

We are supposed to get a couple inches more of snow today and am looking forward to more fun riding home from work and riding again tomorrow.

No comments: