Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Staying vertical

This past Sunday saw some fellow Nebraska cyclists racing the Auburn road race in Auburn Kansas. It was probably one of the more memorable races so far this year, and that is not meaning it was a good memory either.

We left Lincoln at 5am and arrived with a little bit of time to get registered and kitted up. There wasn’t time to go drive the course, so it was going to be a blind race. The cat 4’s were to do 2 laps with an approximate mileage of 67. The sun was out, the wind light, it was perfection for a bike race. We kept overhearing people talk of a place on the course called “Girl Scout Hill.” With a name like that, what is there to worry about? The first group off was the Men 1/2/3 and the Women 1/2/3. Five minutes later we were off.

The pace for the first couple miles was very light as we were getting our legs warmed up. Then the pace started gradually picking up. I kept myself between the middle to the front of the pack and was feeling good about this race. I really was thinking that I can hold on to the pack for a good length of the race.

Around mile ten, just past the feed zone, someone up front locked up their brakes and caused some mayhem. Bikes and bodies started hitting the pavement. I spent enough time making love to the pavement last year that I wasn’t going to do it again this year, so I just kept pedaling. I realized I was riding on someones body, as I looked down it was Rich Anderson from the Bike Way team, he twisted and I came to a halt, thankfully still upright. The pack was getting away from me, so I clipped back in and started to bridge the gap that had formed. I really didn’t want to start burning matches this early in the race, but I was determined to get back on. Finally I caught back on just as we were making the first turn. Then I kept hearing a "flip flip" noise. Sort of like a derailleur issue. It would drive me nuts for the entire race. Silly me for thinking I would have time to recover. As soon as the turn was completed 2 riders attacked. As soon as they gassed out, 2 more would attack, and this kept going on for 3 to 5 miles. Needless to say my supplies were running low and I just could hang. Four more people dropped off and we had a real good rotation going. No more than 15 second pulls. We kept the peleton in our sights for some time.

Then we came to a one stop sign town where we made a right turn. Here is where “Girl Scout Hill” is located. Two of our train had fallen off by the time we made the turn, so it was just 3 of us, but not for long. A long false flat with a huge climb 2 tier climb was just painful. By the time I reached the top I lost lots of gas, no not the flatulent kind. I was soon soloing it for one more time around. Nothing really exciting happened on the second lap, except when I got to the hill a second time. This last time up I could barely keep my average around 8 mph, and my muscles started some painful twitching, thankfully it subsided rather quickly.

Crossing the finish I was rather spent. Definitely needed a little more energy juice on the road, something to add to my bag of goodies for the next road race. I felt great the entire race and was very happy with the numbers I pulled off my powertap. Getting this 40 year old body into decent shape is a hard and painful process, but well worth it.

As I rolled back to the vehicle Rich was standing by his vehicle with his front tire in his hands. Upon closer inspection part of his fork was still attached to the wheel. Apparently his fork was snapped in 2, thankfully it wasn’t because of me. Sure hope he gets a replacement before Snake Alley this weekend. As for the "flip flip" sound, it was my tire. There was a slit along the tire that was slapping against my bottom bracket every time it went around. I never flatted during the race. I love my Bontrager HardCase tires. They last a frakking long time.

Well, that is my adventure for this past weekend. Next up, the memorial day races in eastern Iowa, which features the Snake Alley race on Saturday. I am so looking forward to it. I will definitely be happy with a top half finish, the field will be large, I think there is at least 50+ registered so far. Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend, no matter what you do.

2 comments:

nicol said...

Hopefully you'll take some pictures there this weekend. Have fun and good luck!

Bob K said...

Maybe they call it "Girl Scout Hill" because you lose your cookies after riding it?